Wednesday, October 19, 2016

3 Months

It's been two weeks and then some of the new regime with one gym session per week. It's all good so far, seems like a programme that will be sustainable in the long term, providing the benefits but at the same time not too taxing. I've expanded the gym sessions into more of a full body workout with dumbbell shoulser presses, bench presses, bicep curls and one-arm rows in addition to the leg exercises and treadmill work.

Speaking of the treadmill, running is improving nicely. I've come up with a combination that seems to work well for my current ability: 2 min walking, 1 min jogging, 2 min light to medium speed running, repeat 5-6 times. No knee pain, no shin splints any more, cardio seems to be the limit to going much harder at the moment. I'll be slowly increasing the run-to-walk ratio, but there's no hurry.

Cycling is not going as well unfortunately. I've kept the rides to around 20 km, but it seems I've been riding a little too often, not giving the body enough time to adjust and re-adapt after the long break I had before and right after the surgery. As a result, I've developed some knee pain - not around the IT band, but the inside (medial) side of the patellas, both knees but more on the left one. Pain in this area is not new to me, and I've had MRI done on both knees at different times to see what's going on inside: meniscus damage in the right knee and some lesions in the cartilage of the left knee.

The damage on both sides wasn't deemed bad enough to warrant anything more drastic than some rest and rehabilitation at the time, and I'm hoping to get away with same now. The pain only appears when cycling, so I'm taking a week off and I'm switching to platform pedals for a while to let my legs re-discover the most comfortable position for pedalling after the break. Of course, I'll also ask the PT about it the next session.

The IT band itself is doing fine, further along the way back to full strength. As usual, there are occasional aches and pains, tension, or just feeling of something being not quite right, but it's getting less intense and less frequent all the time. There hasn't been any swelling that I could detect at any time in a few weeks now, and it just gets a little more sensitive to pressure if I've been working it a bit too much. No surprises overall, it's right about where I'd expect it to be at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment