Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Day 1

Didn't sleep very well this night. I would get into an position that's uncomfortable to the left knee and the pain would wake me up. Some of the pain came distinctively from the patella region for some reason; it wasn't from somewhere inside the joint, but from the outer edges of the patella.

The pain is not too bad during the day. In total I've taken one aspirine (in the morning before picking up the prescribed medication), two paracetamol (one at the end of the day before going to bed) and one ibuprofen during the course of the day.

Knee flexion has improved since yesterday, I can do 40+ degrees from straight now. This is just passive flexion, no weight on the leg, no pressure on the knee. When not moving I'm keeping leg extended and elevated most of the time.

I'm able to walk slowly and carefully. Bearing weight is no problem, but the part where I need to bend the knee and bring the foot forward can be tricky. When stepping forward I can't really use the stabilising muscles around the knee because that puts strain on the IT band; instead I just lock out the leg and put weight on it completely straight and that seems to work fine at the speed that I'm going. I go up and down stairs using the right leg only to do the work. I've had two walks of 15-20 minutes to keep the leg moving and to stimulate circulation.

I've noticed some swelling in the ankle and foot in the evening. Can't tell if it was there before, I wasn't really looking. I'm guessing it's a light swelling that started in the knee area and then the fluid descended to the foot. It's not big or painful so I'm not really worried.



No comments:

Post a Comment