Saturday, August 13, 2016

Day 26

Physiotherapy yesterday:
  1. Knee press, 2 x 15.
  2. Heel pulls, 1 x 15.
  3. Leg raises, 2 x 15.
  4. Balancing on the foam pad.
  5. Single-legged shallow squats on the foam pad, 2 x 12.
  6. Balancing with opposite leg extensions, 2 x 8.
  7. Squatting while leaning into an exercise ball against the wall, 1 x 15, focused on pushing off with the left leg.
  8. Leg abductions with the elastic band, 2 x 15.
Next session will be Wednesday next week, and we'll be doing some exercises on the stationary bike. The next two weeks I'll be having two sessions per week, and after that my usual physio comes back from vacation, so I will switch to working with him. Most of the exercising will be done at home now, so I bought a Pilates ball and a balance board today.

I went to the swimming pool today, a light session of some twenty minutes in the water. I tried crawl and breaststroke and both are doable, but require careful and deliberate movement. For crawl I need to let the left leg mostly hang in the water, just a little stroke here and there. Breaststroke is OK as long as I go very slowly and I don't force the leg strokes.

In other news, I'm officially descending stairs without any pain. Well, I can make it hurt if I intentionally put the leg into an awkward position, but stepping normally is perfectly fine. I can't really pinpoint when exactly was the first time I descended with no pain, but I noticed it today. Encouraged by this, I tried to run a step or two as well, but that's not really happening yet, though it is better than the last time I tried to take a few quick steps. 

The hematoma is receding but not completely gone, it feels like a slight thickening of the skin now. It is still visible though, when I look at it from the right angle. The bone and the tendons underneath feel interesting, definitely different than the other leg. It will be interesting to see what it will be like once it's fully healed and settled down.

No comments:

Post a Comment