Monday, August 15, 2016

Day 28 (4 Weeks)

No physiotherapy in the last couple of days, and I took a rest day today. Well, it was rest from exercising, but I did go for a nice walk, leisurely pace but a good 2-3 km covered. The knee started hurting a little near the end, but I think I managed not to overdo it too much.

I've noticed that I can really feel the left glute medius, TFL and hamstrings working, and even straining a little, when I start walking a little faster. That's interesting, seeing as my left side now feels stronger than the right when doing the exercises targeting those muscles, yet the right side doesn't complain while walking. It could be a combination of many factors, but the top two I can think of is 1. that those muscles on the left side are now waking up and activating more than the on the right side thanks to all the exercises, and/or 2. that the left side is getting better at doing the exercises, but the functional strength in real world conditions is still not up there compared to the right.

Whichever is the case, I think the following course of action will be in order:
  • increase work on the right side to bring it up to speed when it comes to exercise proficiency;
  • start mixing it up with different exercises still targeting the same muscle groups in order to improve actual functional strength - so for example do leg abductions one day, side steps the next, and so on.
Regarding recovery in general, I have been able to do a few steps of something resembling a jog - the last time I tried, it a few days ago, it was still not at all doable. It still takes focus however, and when I tried to RN the last couple of stops across the street without really thinking about it, I reverted to a hobbling locked-knee gait.

The hematoma/swelling is mostly gone now, with just a pea-sized bump and some redness right around the middle of the scar. The redness doesn't look very good, but it responds well to icing, so I'm not too concerned yet. All in all, it seems to be getting better at an unchanging pace, which is perfectly fine with me.
The bump is between the third and fourth suture marks; picture taken after icing, so it's not very noticeable

Most of the swelling is gone

No comments:

Post a Comment